Goan Fish Curry is a unique mix of the intense flavor of spices in which coconut is added to level the spiciness and it also has a tangy taste of tamarind. a recipe that is made solely from the ingredients grown inland.
Let’s make goa’s food specialty, Goan Fish Curry. In goa, King Fish is famous, you will not get this tasty kingfish anywhere around the world but in goa. So whenever in Goa, don’t forget to try King Fish, let it be fry fish, curried fish, any appetizer of fish, or roasted fish.
Now that you have read plenty of compliments about kingfish, how tasty it is and everything which makes it obvious that we will be preparing Goan Fish Curry with fillets of King Fish, but when it comes it comes Goan fish curry, the flavor of Mackerel is unbeatable so we will be making Mackerel Goan Fish Curry.
Goa is located in a Tropical climate, so the flavor of spices is intense in each local dish of Goa, any which ways, India is rich when it comes to spices so all Indian local dishes have plenty of whole spices and powdered spices in it which gives a strong flavor.
If we are talking about the Goan Fish Curry recipe, then we need to know about another curry called ‘Hooman’.
When Goddess Saraswati went underground, people who stayed around them migrated from Kashmir to Konkan, Saraswat Brahmins are found from the south to the north pole of India.
2000 years from now when Saraswat Brahmins settled in goa they adapted the culture and crops which used to grow in goa and made the first fish curry which was ‘Hooman’, which had coconut, turmeric powder, and lemon or tamarind. Hooman is the mother of today’s Goan fish curry.
If the Saraswat brahmins wouldn’t preserve ‘Hooman’ earlier we wouldn’t have gotten our signature Goan fish curry today.
Ingredients for Goan Fish Curry
- Mackerels are considered some of the nutritious fish but taste bland if not fresh or when not complemented with an intense flavor of spices.
- Salt and Turmeric Powder are always accompanied while marinating fish for Goan fish curry to add flavor to the fish
- Goan Fish Curry is incomplete without Red chilies, Grated coconut, and Coconut Oil.
- Garlic, Ginger, Coriander powder, Sichuan pepper, and Tamarind paste will bring out the authentic flavor of Goan fish curry.
- Onion and Soaked rice give a nice texture to the curry.
Goan Fish Curry
- 1 mud or clay pot
- 2 Mackerel
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 5-6 units Soaked Red Chillies
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 cup Grated Coconut
- 1 tsp Soaked Rice
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 no. Vertically Sliced Onion
- 5-6 no. Sichuan Pepper
- 1/4 cup Tamarind Paste
- 1 pod Garlic
- 1 inch ginger
- 1/4 cup Water
- 2-3 tbsp Coconut Oil
- 1/2 Finely Chopped Onion
- Prepared Paste
- 2 cups Water
- Marinated Fish
- as per taste Salt
- First step to prepare goan fish curry is to marinate 2 mackerel with 1 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric powder.
- To make the paste-In a mixer grinder make a smooth paste for goan fish curry, add 5-6 soaked Red chilies, 1 teaspoon coriander powder, 1 cup grated coconut, 1 teaspoon soaked rice, 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder, half vertically sliced onion, 5-6 no. sichuan pepper, 1/4 cup of tamarind, 1 pod of garlic, 1 inch ginger, 1/4 cup water. adjust the consistency by adding water.
- Take a clay pot that will be washed properly and completely dried up. Heat 2-3 tablespoons of coconut oil, and saute half the finely chopped onion in heated oil until caramelized.
- Pour in prepared paste and cook for 10 to 15 minutes on low flame till it leaves a nice flavor of all spices.
- Once the paste is cooked pour in 2 cups of water and add marinated mackerel delicately. Give it a boil, taste the curry and sprinkle salt as per taste.
- Goan fish curry is ready to serve with special red rice of goa
- Wash the mackerel, and run a sharp knife over the skin on both sides.
- Cut all the fins with a sharp knife or a pair of scissors.
- Open the gills and cut the head. Now clean the stomach and then cut the tail.
- Take a bowl of water dip the fish in water and clean the blood.
- Make small slits on the sides so that the marination and curry will penetrate and give it a nice flavor.
Marinate Mackerels with salt and turmeric powder.
To make the paste-
In a mixer grinder make a smooth paste for Goan fish curry add 5-6 Red chilies soaked in lukewarm water, 1 teaspoon of coriander powder, 1 cup of grated coconut, 1 teaspoon of rice soaked in water, 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder, half vertically sliced onion, 5-6 no. Sichuan pepper, 1/4 cup of tamarind, 1 pod of garlic, 1-inch ginger, and 1/4 cup of water. adjust the consistency by adding water.
Take a clay pot that will be washed properly and completely dried up. Heat 2-3 tablespoons of coconut oil, and saute half the finely chopped onion in heated oil until caramelized.
Pour in the prepared paste and cook for 10 to 15 minutes on low flame till it leaves a nice flavor of all spices.
Once the paste is cooked pour in 2 cups of water and add marinated mackerel delicately. Give it a boil, taste the curry and sprinkle salt as per taste.
Goan fish curry is ready to serve with special red rice of goa
- Clean the mackerels, cut their heads and properly clean it from inside and outside
- do not have their own taste, so marinate them nicely with salt and turmeric powder otherwise, mackerels will taste bland when cooked in the curry.
- While making the paste, instead of adding water you can add coconut water.
- To add more coconut flavor to the curry pour in coconut milk.
- Mix the curry properly before adding mackerel to the curry. Do not keep stirring the curry after adding mackerels as they tend to break and are delicate.
Why you would love this recipe
- Goan fish curry is full of wonderful spiced flavor, creamy coconut texture, and a twist of tang from the tamarind
- It is quick and easy to be good enough for a busy night.
- This fish curry is better both flavor-wise and healthier.
How to refrigerate the meal?
Heat the curry, cool down, pour it into an airtight container and refrigerate. Goan fish curry should not be kept for more than 2-3 days.
How to freeze?
Freeze it for up to a week and not more than that in an airtight container.
How to reheat?
Fish curry can stay fresh for 2-3 days without refrigerating but just reheating after every 8 hours.
A frozen curry must be defrosted first and then heated on low flame until it starts to boil.
Are there any possible substitutes?
Store-bought Red chili powder can be used instead of using dried red chilies.
Tamarind can be substituted with garcinia indica (dried kokum rinds).
Regular oil can be used other than using coconut oil.
Best Before Date?
2-3 days if refrigerated or simmered on low heat after an interval of 8 hours and stays good for a week if frozen.
What to serve with Goan fish curry?
Serve Fish curry with steamed rice or chapati.
Allergy and avoidance information
The use of tamarind or kokum rinds can be avoided if you are allergic to it or if having any kind of fungal infection.
Three Sisters Soup https://hablr.com/three-sisters-soup-recipe/#more-25164
Homemade Pumpkin Cookies https://hablr.com/homemade-pumpkin-cookies/#more-25185
Authentic Margherita Pizza https://hablr.com/homemade-pumpkin-cookies/#more-25185
Bisi Bele Bath https://hablr.com/bisi-bele-bath/#more-25127