Pets make the dearest members of our households, and they make great company for their owners and their children. Pets can be a major part of our formative years and can bring much more joy to special occasions.
A pet can change the home environment in a number of ways, and the true joy they bring can only be known by a pet-lover! If you’re here, you’re sure the right person to understand just how much animals change the lives of us, humans, through these inspirational pet quotes by personalities who have managed to articulate what we couldn’t.
25 Best Inspirational Pet Quotes
1. “There’s a saying. If you want someone to love you forever, buy a dog, feed it and keep it around.”
Dick Dale, American Musician
2. “In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this.”
Terry Pratchett, American Novelist
3. “For me, a house or an apartment becomes a home when you add one set of four legs, a happy tail, and that indescribable measure of love that we call a dog.”
Roger Caras, American Activist
4. “Animals share with us the privilege of having a soul.”
Pythagoras, Greek Philosopher
Pythagoras, the mathematical genius, sure sounds like a philosophical genius too. He’s right: animals show us the true qualities of having a soul which is unblemished by greed, envy, corruption, etc. We must learn to cultivate our true nature, which is to love, appreciate the small pleasures of life, and be kind.
5. “Time spent with cats is never wasted.”
Sigmund Freud, Austrian Psychoanalyst
6. “Over the years I’ve come to appreciate how animals enter our lives prepared to teach and far from being burdened by an inability to speak they have many different ways to communicate. It is up to us to listen more than hear, to look into more than past.”
Nick Trout, British-Born Veterinarian, and Author
Nick Trout touches upon a beautiful thing we can learn from animals, specifically the ability to sit and listen, to watch and observe. This is especially important as it not only teaches us to bond with our pets and nature but also human beings.
Sometimes, we get so caught up in our own selves and verbal communication that we forget to stop and watch for signs. The joy of communicating wordlessly helps us get a different perspective about our pasts, and bestows us with more knowledge and wisdom.
7. “Animals are such agreeable friends—they ask no questions; they pass no criticisms.”
George Eliot, British Author
8. “I told him about the way they get to know you. Not the way people do, the way they flatter you by wanting to know every last thing about you, only it isn’t a compliment, it is just efficient, a person getting more quickly to the end of you. Correction – dogs do want to know every last thing about you. They take in the smell of you, they know from the next room, asleep when a mood settles over you. The difference is there’s not an end to it.”
Amy Hempel, American Writer
Amy Hempel tells us about the scared nature of the love pets give their owners. Unlike love between human beings, pets are in no hurry to get to know you and are content to spend their entire lives watching you change and grow while they love you unconditionally. Pets love us unselfishly and wholeheartedly, without ulterior motives.’
9. “Pets reflect you like mirrors. When you are happy, you can see your dog smiling and when you are sad, your cat cries.”
Munia Khan, Bangladeshi Poet
10. “Pets bring vital energy to our homes and lives. Pets communicate many messages about love and connection. Care tenderly for all pets throughout their precious lives. The interspecies dance of love softens and expands the heart.”
Laura Staley, Feng Shui Expert
11. “When the Man waked up, he said, ‘What is Wild Dog doing here?’ And the Woman said, ‘His name is not Wild Dog anymore but the First Friend because he will be our friend for always and always and always.’”
Rudyard Kipling, English Author
12. “Pets are humanizing. They remind us we have an obligation and responsibility to preserve and nurture and care for all life.”
James Cromwell, American Actor
13. “Indeed, there is nothing on this earth more peaceful than a sleeping, purring cat.”
Jonathon Scott Payne, American Author
14. “A kitten is the delight of a household. All day long a comedy is played out by an incomparable actor.”
Champfleury, Art Critic & Novelist
15. “You cannot share your life with a dog…or a cat, and not know perfectly well that animals have personalities and minds and feelings.”
Jane Goodall, British Anthropologist
16. “Animals have come to mean so much in our lives. We live in a fragmented and disconnected culture. Politics are ugly, religion is struggling, technology is stressful, and the economy is unfortunate. What’s one thing that we have in our lives that we can depend on? A dog or a cat loving us unconditionally, every day, very faithfully.”
Jon Katz, American Journalist
Katz really hit the spot with this one. Our pets have brought together our families to celebrate life and enjoy the smaller things in life. The love from your pets is constant even in the face of trying times. How has your pet helped you overcome a difficult time in your life? Let us know in the comments below!
17. “Kittens are angels with whiskers.”
Alexis Flora Hope, Animal Rights Activist
Short and sweet, Alexis has managed to sum up what it’s like to have a kitten around.
18. “I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul.”
Jean Cocteau, French Director
19. “No one appreciates the very special genius of your conversation as the dog does.”
Christopher Morley, American Journalist
20. “Compassion for animals is intimately connected with goodness of character; and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man.”
Arthur Schopenhaur, German Philosopher
21. “Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you’re never friendless ever if you have a dog.”
Douglas Malloch, American Poet
22. “Most pets display so many humanlike traits and emotions it’s easy to forget they’re not gifted with the English language and then get snubbed when we talk to them and they don’t say anything back.”
Stephenie Geist, Author
23. “Animals are sentient, intelligent, perceptive, funny and entertaining. We owe them a duty of care as we do to children.”
Michael Morpurgo, British Writer
24. “No matter how close we are to another person, few human relationships are as free from strife, disagreement, and frustration as is the relationship you have with a good dog. Few human beings give of themselves to another as a dog gives of itself. I also suspect that we cherish dogs because their unblemished souls make us wish—consciously or unconsciously—that we were as innocent as they are, and make us yearn for a place where innocence is universal and where the meanness, the betrayals, and the cruelties of this world are unknown.”
Dean Koontz, American Author
Dogs are arguably the most loyal creatures on earth. No wonder they’re deemed man’s best friend. Truly, it is an admirable quality we humans can only attempt to inculcate in our relationships!
25. “If having a soul means being able to feel love and loyalty and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans.”
James Herriot, British Writer
It’s no surprise that so many of the renowned personalities of the world have continues to exude appreciation for animal life. This is testament enough to the fact that animals have truly brought incomparable joy to man’s life.
Those of us who have been fortunate enough to have a pet in our lives can definitely plead witness to the unfathomable amount of love we have managed to give and receive. There have also been miraculous stories of pets saving their owners at great risk to their own lives and vice versa.
Even without the dramatics of it, having an animal friend can truly change your outlook on the entire world. Let us know in the comments down below about your journey with your little one – and yes, we mean your pet!
What are your favorite inspirational pet quotes?