Microgreen Red Russian Kale Salad is vegan and full of nutritional values which you can check in the ingredients list below making it a wholesome and a must-have salad in everyday meals.
This salad is quick and easy to make it gets done in 10 minutes and getting a meal ready in just 10 minutes is like a big burden coming off our shoulders.
What are Microgreens?
If you are asking what Microgreens are exactly – They are young seedlings of edible vegetables or herbs. Large vegetables take months to grow but microgreens can be harvested or eaten after 10 days.
Microgreen Red Russian contains more than a day’s worth of vitamin A requirements. It is also full of vitamins K, C, and B6 as well as manganese, copper, calcium, and magnesium
Farming of microgreens first started in southern California in the 1980s. Earlier microgreens were served only in restaurants as a garnish because they were rare and expensive. They gained popularity in the 1990s. Now microgreens can be seen in local farmer’s markets and grocery stores throughout the US. Until now there are over 87 different varieties of microgreen with their own distinct flavor.
They are young seedlings of edible vegetables or herbs. Large vegetables take months to grow but microgreens can be harvested or eaten after a period of 10 days.
Salads you can try
- Sunset Salad
- Panzanella Salad
- Springtime Salad
- Rainbow Chard Salad
- Cress Salad
- Fall Harvest Salad
- Warm Beet Salad
- Homegrown Microgreen Salad
- Stuffed Caprese Salad
- Simple Chickpea Salad
How to grow Red Russian microgreens at home?
What will you need?
- Growing Tray [10×20 with holes at the bottom]
- Potting soil
- Light [prefer natural sunlight]
- Seeds of red Russian microgreens
- Spray bottle
- Press potting soil at bottom of the growing tray making it compact, and do the same till the growing tray fills with soil.
- Spray water to make the soil moist
- Spread red Russian kale seeds evenly on the moist surface of the soil.
- Again spray water over the seeds, do not overdo it.
- Cover with a lid and place weight on the lid for better growth.
- Place this growing tray in a dark place that will not be disturbed for 3-4 days.
- Lift the weight after 3 days, you will see seeds will be sprouted.
- Spray some water.
- Place it on the window where the sprouted seeds will get enough sunlight or use artificial light to grow microgreens.
- It will take 8-12 days
What are the healthiest microgreens?
The most nutrient-dense is broccoli sprouts. They contain glucoraphanin and sulforaphane which are known to prevent cancer. Highest in minerals and vitamins.
Mustards, Peas, Beets, Garden cress, and Radishes are the most flavorful. They are zestier than their older counterparts.
Which greens can be grown on a growing mat?
Broccoli, kale, peas arugula, radish or spicy radish, chia, mustard, beet, chard, cabbage, buckwheat, basil, cilantro, and fenugreek.
Can regular seeds be Used?
In most cases yes, you can use regular seeds for microgreens. There is nothing special about microgreen seeds. When growing microgreens it’s the stage of growth and method of harvesting that sets them apart
Does the way you cut vegetables change their flavor?
Yes, it does. Cutting affects the cooking process, aroma, and texture of the vegetable, which in turn can definitely influence our own perception of how it tastes. When you cut or cook a vegetable, it releases enzymes that kick off a series of chemical reactions that bring out its aroma and flavor.
Few vegetables are cut in a particular way for recipes so that the taste stays the same. It is taken care of, especially in traditional recipes.
Ingredients for Microgreen Red Russian Kale Salad
- Microgreen Red Russian Kale contains more than a day’s worth of vitamin A requirements. It is also full of vitamins K, C, and B6 as well as manganese, copper, calcium, and magnesium
- Red Radishes are full of vitamins E, A, C, B6, and K. packed with antioxidants, calcium, iron, magnesium, manganese, copper, phosphorous, zinc, and fiber. A half cup of sliced radish contains 12 calories and no fat.
- Celery is an everyday vegetable of superfood quality, rich in phthalides. It is loaded with antioxidants which are flavonoids, and bergapten all of these help to prevent stress and the risk of cancer. Keeps your kidney and urinary bladder healthy. Celery is antiseptic in nature and can eliminate bladder disorders, kidney problems, and urinary tract infections in women.
- Bell Pepper is gluten-free, low in fat, sodium, and calories, a good source of fiber, rich in vitamin A, Vitamin B6, and vitamin C, and rich in antioxidants. Red bell peppers are more nutritious because they stay on the vine the longest. Compared to green bell peppers, the red ones have almost 11 times more beta-carotene and 1.5 times more vitamin C.
- Carrot is a good source of vitamin K1, potassium, and antioxidants. It improves eye health, aids weight loss, and lowers cholesterol levels.
- Parsley is widely used in western Middle Eastern, Europe, and American cuisine. It Treats night blindness improves ear health, keeps the heart healthy, strengthens the immune system, and has antibacterial properties.
- Apple Cider Vinegar may boost skin health, boost stomach acid production, and improve nutrient assimilation.
- Olive Oil – main ingredient is ‘Monounsaturated Fats’ which help reduce bad cholesterol and increase good cholesterol. It is gluten-free, sugar-free, and sodium free.
Now that we have had a look at the benefits of all the ingredients added to Microgreen Red Russian Kale Salad.
Microgreen Red Russian Kale Salad
- 2 packs Microgreen Red russian Salad
- 4 unit small Radishes
- 1 stalk Celery
- 1 unit Bell Pepper
- 1 unit Carrot
- 1 pinch Parsley
- 1 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/5 tsp Dry Mustard Powder
- 4 tbsp Olive Oil
- Salt to taste
- Ground Pepper
- Cut Microgreen Red Russian Kale above the stem, wash under the tap remove soil, and dry it completely.
- Wash all the salad ingredients thoroughly.
- Cut 4 small radishes in roundels.
- Dice celery removing by chopping off the bottom and leafy part.
- Remove the top and bottom of the bell pepper. Cut it vertically from the edges and remove the seeds. Dice bell pepper.
- Julienne carrots (cut into thin vertical slices)
- Mince the leafy part of washed and dried parsley
Directions for making salad
- In a large mixing bowl take 2 packs of microgreen red Russian kale, roundels of 4 radishes, 1 stalk of diced celery, 1 sliced bell pepper, 1 julienned carrot, and a pinch of minced parsley.
Directions for dressing
- In a small mixing bowl pour 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar, 1/5 tsp of dry mustard powder, 4 tbsp olive oil, salt, and ground pepper to taste.
- Mix the veggies and dressing ingredients in the large mixing bowl.
- MIcrogreen Red Russian Kale Salad packed with nutritional values is ready.
Directions for microgreen red Russian kale salad
How to cut each vegetable for Microgreen Red Russian Kale Salad?
Cut microgreen red Russian kale from the stem with a pair of scissors. wash thoroughly so that no soil is present in the microgreens. Dry it with a Turkish towel or in a salad spinner.
Cut the small tail at the bottom and top leafy part of the radish, place the radish horizontally, and cut it into roundels.
Chop the bottom and the leafy part of the celery. Align the stalk of celery and dice it.
Place the bell pepper horizontally on the chopping board and slice off the top and bottom. Keeping the bell pepper upright make a slit from the edge, turn it on the edges, and cut through in the shape of a bell pepper cutting the ribs and keeping the knife away from the seeds.
Slice vertically for microgreen red Russian kale salad.
First things first, peel a washed carrot and snip off the top and the bottom. Technically the size of julienne is 3mmx3mm. Cut 5cm long, slice the base of the salad, and turn and rest the body on the base. Slice the carrot while resting the knife against your knuckles.
Stalk the carrot slices and cut these thin like match sticks. Juliennes of carrot are ready.
Break the stem of the parsley, and place it between the thumb and index finger to align it. Placing it on the chopping boards mince it making a rocking moment with the knife.
The prep for microgreen red Russian kale salad is done let’s move on to the process of making the salad.
In a large mixing add microgreen red Russian kale, roundels of radish, diced celery, vertically sliced bell pepper, julienned carrot, and minced parsley.
To make dressing for microgreen red Russian kale salad:
In a small mixing bowl pour apple cider vinegar, dry mustard powder, olive oil, salt to taste, and a pinch of ground pepper.
Mix the prepared dressing with all the veggies in a large mixing bowl.
Microgreen red Russian kale salad, a healthy 10-minute meal is ready
Why would you love Microgreen Red Russian Kale Salad?
Craving not only for a bowl of deliciousness but also something healthy? Satisfy your cravings with Microgreen Red Russian Salad which is dressed with a unique dressing and a variety and colorful vegetables having a different tastes in itself.
In microgreen red Russian kale salad can microgreen red Russian kale be substituted with any other microgreen?
Yes, you can do that. Remove the stem of the swiss chard and use it in the salad.
Can we garnish microgreen red Russian kale salad with cheese or add a few croutons?
Yes, you can add plant-based products to it if you are vegan otherwise add in whatever you like, for example, cheese, mayonnaise, croutons, etc.
What is the difference between Microgreens and Sprouts?
In simple words, microgreens are grown in soil and sprouts germinate in water. The stem of both microgreens and sprouts can be eaten.
How to store microgreen red Russian kale salad?
Keep the dressing separate from the veggies in an airtight jar, dry the leafy veggies before adding them to the salad, and store the greens in a resealable bag.
Microgreen Chard Salad stays fresh for how many days?
Store salad for not more than 5 days even in the refrigerator.
How to store Microgreen Red Russian Salad?
Mix vegetables and dressing only for the required servings. Store the rest of them separately.
Three Sisters Soup https://hablr.com/three-sisters-soup-recipe/#more-25164
Healthy Peanut Butter Bread https://hablr.com/peanut-butter-bread/