Microgreen Sunflower Salad is a nutritious bowl of tiny greens with nutrients similar to the bigger counterparts. It is a vibrant-colored salad having vegetables with a distinct nutritional value of itself.
Each and every ingredient used in this recipe prevents our body from some or other disease and has vitamins and minerals.
Sunflower Microgreens can be eaten raw or cooked, but prefer eating them raw as cooking microgreens will eliminate all the nutritional values present in them.
What is sunflower microgreen?
Have you ever heard of sunflower greens? Yes, sunflower greens not sunflower seeds.
Microgreens are tiny and delicate greens. They look like bean sprouts but are not. Microgreens can be harvested even before they grow into sunflowers Black Oil Sunflower Seeds are best suited to grow microgreen sunflowers
Farming of microgreens first started in southern California in the 1980s. Earlier they were served only in restaurants as a garnish because they were rare and expensive. They gained popularity in the 1990s. Now microgreens can be seen in local farmer’s markets and grocery stores throughout the US. Until now there are over 87 different varieties of microgreen with their own distinct flavor.
What do sunflower greens taste like?
Sunflower greens have a sweet, nutty flavor of sunflower seeds and a spicy aftertaste with the texture of spinach leaves.
How to grow sunflower microgreens
- Buy quality seeds and soak them in water for 8 to 10 hours.
- Drain, and rinse the soaked sunflower seeds
Sunflower greens grow profusely when sown densely in soil. Choose a container or pot with a wide top and drainage.
- Sow the seeds in soil which has a fine texture and is a well-draining loamy soil.
The depth does not have to be more than 3 inches.
- Place another inverted container/pot on top during the blackout period of 2-3 days.
- Once the seeds start to germinate, move the container to a sunny location.
- Add a little water on a regular basis. Keep the soil damp but not soggy.
- Once the microgreens grow 4 inches above the soil and shed their shells they are ready to harvest.
They are ready to eat in just two weeks. The unused sunflower microgreens can be stored in a damp paper towel for up to 5 days. Give it little water and sufficient sunlight, and you have an easily grown microgreen at home.
Store them in a plastic sealed bag in the fridge for up to 5 days. Wash them as needed under cold water shoots.
Does ph matter?
They will grow best in a slightly acidic environment, with a ph between 6 and 6.5. They can survive between the range of 5.5 to 7 but prefer a narrower, almost neutral range of ph.
Do sunflower microgreens regrow?
Unfortunately NO, microgreens won’t grow back after cutting. A plant’s seed usually only contains enough energy to get the first set of leaves up. So after the first round of microgreens, all of the energy stored in the seed is spent
What are the healthiest microgreens?
The most nutrient-dense microgreen is broccoli sprouts. They contain glucoraphanin and sulforaphane which are known to prevent cancer. Highest in minerals and vitamins.
Mustards, Peas, Beets, Garden cress, and Radishes are the most flavorful microgreens. They are zestier than their older counterparts.
Which microgreen seeds can be grown on a growing mat?
Broccoli, kale, peas arugula, radish or spicy radish, chia, mustard, beet, chard, cabbage, buckwheat, basil, cilantro, and fenugreek.
Can regular seeds be Used to grow microgreens?
In most cases yes, you can use regular seeds for microgreens. There is nothing special about microgreen seeds. When growing microgreens it’s the stage of growth and method of harvesting that sets them apart
Other ways to pair Sunflower microgreens
Wrap sunflower microgreens in wraps, sandwiches, and tacos. Stuff them in a chicken with a flavorful filling. Even soups can be garnished with your choice of microgreens, Make an addition to your daily breakfast by adding microgreens in an omelet or scrambled eggs.
Does the way you cut vegetables change their flavor?
Yes, it does. Cutting affects the cooking process, aroma, and texture of the vegetable, which in turn can definitely influence our own perception of how it tastes. Cutting or cooking a vegetable releases enzymes that kick off a series of chemical reactions that bring out its aroma and flavor.
Few vegetables are cut in a particular way for recipes so that the taste stays the same. It is taken care of, especially in traditional recipes.
Ingredients for Microgreen Sunflower Salad
- Sunflower microgreens are a nutritious and delicious addition to your diet provide vitamins A, C, E and K, and B6. They contain healthy fats like omega-3s and omega-6s for brain health. It provides much of your body’s daily dietary requirements and essential nutrients.
- Shallot is helpful for seasonal allergies, and bone and heart health helps fight germs and promotes weight maintenance.
- Celery is an everyday vegetable of superfood quality, rich in phthalides. It is loaded with antioxidants which are flavonoids, and bergapten all of these help to prevent stress and the risk of cancer. Keeps your kidney and urinary bladder healthy. Celery is antiseptic in nature and can eliminate bladder disorders, kidney problems, and urinary tract infections in women.
- Cucumber promotes hydration, aids in weight loss, lowers blood sugar, is low in calories, and is high in vitamins and minerals.
- Cherry Tomatoes are an excellent source of vitamins A, C, E, and Potassium.
- Red Bell Pepper is gluten-free, low in fat, sodium, and calories, a good source of fiber, rich in vitamin A, Vitamin B6, and vitamin C, and rich in antioxidants. Red bell peppers are more nutritious because they stay on the vine the longest. Compared to green bell peppers, the red ones have almost 11 times more beta-carotene and 1.5 times more vitamin C.
- Apple Cider Vinegar may boost skin health, boost stomach acid production, and improves the assimilation of nutrients.
- Olive Oil – main ingredient is ‘Monounsaturated Fats’ which help reduce bad cholesterol and increase good cholesterol. It is gluten-free, sugar-free, and sodium free.
- Ground Pepper is an excellent source of manganese, low sodium, low fat, and cholesterol free. It is rich in vitamin K, vitamin A, vitamin C, and vitamin E as well as calcium and potassium.
Microgreen Sunflower Salad
- 1 Large Mixing Bowl
- 1 Small Mixing Bowl
- 1 Pair of Mixing spoons
- 2 pack Sunflower Microgreen
- 1 unit Shallot
- 1 stalk of Celery
- 1 unit Cucumber
- 5 units Cherry Tomatoes
- 1 unit Red Bell Pepper
Salad Dressing Ingredients
- 1 tsp Honey
- 1 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/5 tsp Dry Mustard Powder
- 4 tbsp Olive Oil
- Salt to taste
- Ground Pepper to taste
- Wash all the salad ingredients thoroughly and dry them.
- Peel one shallot and slice it into slices.
- Take a stalk of celery and dice it.
- Cut roundels of cucumber.
- Cut cherry tomatoes in half or dice it.
- Slice Red bell pepper vertically.
- In a large mixing bowl mix 2 packs of sunflower microgreens, 1 sliced shallot, one stalk of diced celery, roundels of 1 cucumber, 5 diced cherry tomatoes, and 1 vertically sliced red bell pepper.
- In a small box, pour in 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar, 1/5 tsp dry mustard powder, 4 tbsp olive oil, salt as per taste and ground pepper to taste.
You may try: Three Sisters Soup Recipe
Direction for Microgreen Sunflower Salad
Preparations before making microgreen sunflower salad
Cut the sunflower microgreens from the soil. and wash thoroughly removing soil from the bottom if any. Wash other salad ingredients too.
Peel 1 shallot and slice it into rings. Put the peeled shallot in a bowl of water for about a minute or two to avoid watery eyes while slicing.
Chop the leafy part and bottom of the celery. Align the stack of celery and chop it vertically or dice it, as per your choice.
Peel off the cucumber if you wish to and slice it too in roundels.
Cut cherry tomatoes in halves. For small chunks dice them, i.e. cut them in half and cut the half tomato in four parts.
An easy way to cut bell pepper is, to cut off the top and the bottom. Take the top and pop out the stem. Set the pepper upright and make a cut on one side of the pepper. Turn it back on its side (horizontally) and cut through the pepper cutting through the ribs and removing the seeds. Cut it vertically for salad
In a large mixing bowl add all these salad ingredients, Microgreen sunflower, sliced shallot, chopped celery, roundels of cucumber, cherry tomatoes, and red bell pepper.
Mix all the dressing ingredients in a small bowl, apple cider vinegar, dry mustard powder, olive oil, salt, and ground pepper.
Mix the dressing ingredients with the salad ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Taste and adjust salt and lemon juice as per taste.
Nutritious Vegan Microgreen Sunflower Salad is ready
Microgreen Sunflower Salad
28 calories, 2.2g protein, 4.4g carbohydrates, 2.2g fiber, 66mg magnesium, 66mg phosphorus, 15.9mg iron, and 88mg calcium.
Why you would love microgreen Sunflower Salad
Microgreen Sunflower Salad Recipe makes a meal in itself yet light. Pair it with a side of roasted fish or chicken and have it for lunch or dinner. Try this recipe at home and you will no longer have to ask this question.
Can microgreen sunflower be substituted with other microgreens?
Yes, you can do that.
What is the difference between Microgreens and Sprouts?
Briefly, microgreens are grown in soil and sprouts germinate in water. The stem of both microgreens and sprouts can be eaten
How to store Microreen Sunflower Salad?
Keep the dressing separate from the veggies in an airtight jar, dry the leafy veggies before adding them to the salad, and store the greens in a resealable bag
Can we garnish it with cheese or add a few croutons?
Yes, you can add plant-based products to it if you are vegan otherwise add in whatever you like, for example, cheese, mayonnaise, croutons, etc.