‘Sweet Potato Soup’ is a bowl of velvety, smooth texture that makes you want to make it again and again. Keep it simple or make it rich in flavor and texture by adding cheese and fresh cream. Sweet Potato Soup is easy to make with the savory flavor of garlic and ginger. Melt in cheese to add body to the soup.
Have you stepped on the sweet potato bandwagon yet? Let me tell you why you should.
First of all Sweet Potatoes have their own natural sweetness and creamy texture when it gets cooked. The flavor gets better and better in any form whether you mash, blend, roast, or bake it.
Besides the delicious flavor, these spuds are a powerhouse of nutrients. They provide a variety of health benefits and are a great source of minerals, vitamins, and fiber.
Sweet Potato Soup is a perfect fall and winter soup. This orange vibrant colored soup will give warmth to your soul in dreary weather,
This soup is easy to make and can be made in less than 45 minutes including preparation time and cooking time. It can make a great appetizer for a party and isn’t a brainer at all.
Sweet Potato Soup is a bowl of comfort, made with cheap ingredients. It is vegan and can be frozen for lunches and dinners. A perfect bowl!
If you are on a weight-loss diet this Sweet Potato Soup will help you shed some calories in your weight-loss journey with all the nutrition in it.
How to serve sweet potato soup?
It is a creamy soup and will go great with crunchy bread on the side to dip in or take a bite after sipping the soup.
Serve with chicken, beef, or pork to turn it into a meal
It would be well served even with a lettuce salad on the side.
What type of Potato to use
It is common to get confused when you go to the market to buy sweet potatoes which are perfect for this soup. Some are called Sweet Potatoes and some are called Yams, but how to differentiate? Here is a quick breakdown.
Sweet Potato vs Yam
What’s the difference?
- Sweet Potatoes have smooth and thin skin but Yam has rough, brown, and scaly skin.
- Sweet Potato is moist and sweet and Yam is dry and starchy.
Other recipes made with Sweet Potato
- Sweet Potato Cupcakes
- Cinnamon Sweet Potato Chips
- Sweet Potato Medallions
- Aubergine Masala with Sweet Potato Mash
- Puffs of Sweet Potato
- Quinoa Bowl with Sweet Potato
- Sweet Potato Rice
- Hassel Back Sweet Potatoes
- Sweet Potato Fritters
Sweet potato which is the main element f our sweet potato soup, is the sixth most important food crop. Each year, more than 105 metric tons of sweet potato is produced
Modifications to this Sweet Potato Soup
Many times I make a few changes to the original dish as per my taste and preferences even you can do the same. Sometimes what happens is adding or omitting ingredients can change the texture and taste of the dish in a bad way. Here is a list of ingredients that go well with sweet potatoes:
- Brussels sprouts
- Collard greens
- Bell peppers and
- Green beans
Mash sweet potatoes with tofu to get more essential amino acids from any meal. Adding 1 ounce of tofu to 4 ounces of sweet potatoes adds about an additional 2 grams of protein to the dish.
In this soup recipe there is no mention of adding sweet potato skin to the soup so, is it safe to eat the skin of potatoes?
Absolutely YES, they are safe and edible that can be easily added to any recipe.
*If you are not peeling the potatoes before boiling then just pierce the with a fork.
Ingredients for Sweet Potato Soup
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil is loaded with heart-healthy fats and protects our body against heart diseases, breast cancer, inflammation, and type 2 diabetes.’Extra Virgin’ is the highest grade of oil with low levels of free oleic acid.
- White Onion contains 25 different flavonoids, lowering the risk of developing chronic diseases.
- Garlic reduces oxidative stress in people with stress.
- Ginger helps the body fight lung disease and promotes healthy aging.
- Sweet Potatoes protect the body from radical damage and promote a healthy gut and brain.
- Vegetable Broth contains minerals like magnesium and calcium and vitamins A, C, E, and K.
- White Pepper Powder to add a little spice and avoid black flakes at the same time.
- Cheddar Cheese and Green Onions will add flavor to the soup and make it rich.
Sweet Potato Soup Recipe
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil extra virgin
- 1 unit White Onion diced
- 3 cloves Garlic minced
- 2 tbsp Ginger freshly grated
- 2 pounds Sweet Potatoes peeled, cut into bite sized pieces
- 4 cups Vegetable Broth low sodium
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper Powder
- 1 cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 2 tbsp Green Onions sliced
- Heat Olive Oil in a soup pan over medium to high heat.
- Saute 1 diced White Onion, 3 minced Garlic Cloves, and 2 tablespoon freshly grated Ginger.
- Add in 2 sweet potatoes cut in bite sized pieces and season with 1/2 teaspoon Salt and 1/4 teaspoon Black Pepper Powder.
- Pour in 4 cups of Vegetable Broth and bring it to a boil over high flame. Once it reaches boiling point, lower the heat and simmer. till the sweet potatoes are well cooked.
- Take down the heat and let it come to room temperature. Blend it until smooth.
- Pour the blended soup to the pot again and add 1 cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese. Stir till the cheese melts.
- Taste and add slat or black pepper powder if needed. Serve Sweet Potato Soup garnished with Green Onions.
Nutritional Value of Sweet potato soup
Sweet Potato Soup Recipe
per serving (approx), 163 calories, 24.8g carbohydrates, 6.3g fat, and 3g protein
Direction for Sweet Potato Soup
Let’s get started with the sweet potato soup recipe
Place a large soup pot on the stove on medium-high heat. Heat extra virgin Olive Oil in the soup pot.
Add diced White Onion in heated olive oil and saute on medium flame until it is softened, this will take 5 to 7 minutes.
*Do not saute until the white onion changes its color.
Once the white onions are softened, add in minced Garlic and freshly grated Ginger, and saute on a medium flame for a minute or two until ginger and garlic release their aroma.
Now goes in the main ingredient, bite-sized sweet potatoes. Season the sweet potatoes with salt and white pepper powder so that no black flakes are present in the soup. Pour in vegetable broth. Stir it and bring it to a boil on high heat.
When the vegetable broth comes to a boil, lower the heat and let it simmer for 10 to 15 minutes until the sweet potatoes are cooked and become super soft. The amount of time sweet potatoes take to turn soft depends on the size they are cut into.
Break the sweet potato after 15 minutes to check if it is cooked. If the potatoes are cooked take down the soup pot from the stove.
Half the process of making sweet potato soup is done.
Blend it into a smooth paste. If using an immersion blender, you can immerse it in the hot boiling broth too but if a regular mixer blender is being used you need to cool down the vegetable broth and then pour it into the regular blender.
Blend it to a smooth paste leaving no chunks of sweet potatoes.
Blender vs. Immersion blender:
Rather than handling hot liquid in a blender use an immersion blender to avoid spilling, and reduce cleaning of the blender
Again pour the smooth blend of sweet potato into the same soup pot and add shredded cheddar cheese. Stir it on low flame until the cheese melts, keep stirring so that the cheese doesn’t burn from the bottom of the pan.
Adding cheese is totally optional but cheddar cheese adds flavor to the soup.
How to make sweet potato soup vegan?
Sweet Potato Soup is vegetarian and almost vegan! To make it vegan substitute cheese with a plant-based substitute.
Healthy Sweet Potato Soup is ready to sip in.
Serve hot sweet potato soup in a bowl and garnish with green onions or you can also swirl some fresh cream to give a rich creamy texture.
Why you would love Sweet Potato Soup
Sweet Potato Soup is comfort food, rich creamy, and delicious with the goodness of sweet potato with the addition of classic vegetable broth and lots of amazing flavors.
How to store sweet potato soup?
Refrigerate: Cool down the sweet potato soup completely and pour into an air-tight container and refrigerate it for up to 5 days.
Freeze: Sweet potato soup can stay good for 3 months if frozen.
How to reheat sweet potato soup?
If refrigerated, pour the sweet potato soup into a saucepan and heat over low to medium flame.
If frozen, defrost it in a microwave or let it get to its liquid form before pouring it into a saucepan, or else take a bowl of water and place the soup container in the bowl full of water.
Substitute Ingredient for White Onions
Red onions are a bit spicy in taste while white onions are sweeter and mild. If you are ok with the difference in taste then add it to your sweet potato soup.
What is the difference between stock and broth?
Vegetable broth is used as a foundation of soup. Vegetable stock is added to the gravy and main dishes.
Can we use regular potatoes to substitute sweet potatoes in sweet potato soup?
If you are aiming for weight loss, sweet potatoes are a good option as they contain fewer calories than regular white potatoes.
Black pepper powder or White pepper powder for seasoning in sweet potato soup?
Either of the two can be seasoned to add flavor and spice. White pepper powder is added to sweet potato soup just so that there are no black flakes in the soup.
Three Sisters Soup https://hablr.com/three-sisters-soup-recipe/
Healthy Peanut Butter Bread https://hablr.com/peanut-butter-bread/