Looking for the best Thomas Jefferson quotes on education? According to Wikipedia “Thomas Jefferson Education, also known as “TJEd” or “Leadership Education” is a philosophy and methodology of education which is popular among some alternative educators, including private schools, charter schools, and homeschoolers. It is based on the Seven Keys of Great Teaching and the Phases of Learning.”
7 Keys of Great Teaching
In TJEd, the “Seven Keys of Great Teaching” are Classics, not Textbooks; Mentors, not Professors; Inspire, not Require; Structure Time, not Content; Quality, not Conformity; Simplicity, not Complexity; and You, not Them.
List of 25 Best Thomas Jefferson Quotes on Education
1. The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers.
2. Educate and inform the whole mass of the people….they are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty.
3. Every day is lost in which we do not learn something useful. Man has no nobler or more valuable possession than time.
4. Enlighten the people, generally, and tyranny and oppressions of body and mind will vanish like spirits at the dawn of day.
5. I had rather be shut up in a very modest cottage with my books, dining on simple bacon, and letting the world roll on as it liked than to occupy the most splendid post, which any human power can give.”
6. Whenever the educated people are well informed, they can be trusted with their own government; that whenever things get so far wrong as to attract their notice, they may be relied on to set them to rights.
7. I have often thought that nothing would do more extensive good at small expense than the establishment of a small circulating library in every county, to consist of a few well-chosen books, to be lent to the people of the country under regulations as would secure their safe return in due time.
8. I know no safe depository of the ultimate powers of the society but the people themselves; and if we think them not enlightened enough to exercise their control with a wholesome discretion, the remedy is not to take it from them, but to inform their discretion by education.
9. He who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors. He who reads nothing will still learn the great facts, and the details are all false.
10. Books may be classed from the faculties of the mind.
Read: 25 Inspirational Navy Quotes About Teamwork And Leadership
11. Besides the comfort of knowledge, every science is auxiliary to every other.
12. When men of sober age travel, they gather knowledge which they may apply usefully for their country.
13. Letters are not the first, but the last step in the progression from barbarism to civilization.
14. The wise know their weakness too well to assume infallibility: and he who knows most, knows best how little he knows.
15. Enlighten the people generally, and tyranny and oppressions of body and mind will vanish like evil spirits at the dawn of day.
16. The qualifications for self-government in society are not innate. They are the result of habit and long training.
17. The tad which will be paid for the purpose of education is not more than the thousand part of what will be paid to kings, priests, and nobles who will rise up among us if we leave the people in ignorance.
18. To penetrate and dissipate these clouds of darkness, the general mind must be strengthened by education
19. Nothing on earth can help the man with wrong mental attitude.
20. If the chidren are untaught, their ignorance and vices will in future life cost us much dearer in their consequences than it would have done in their correction by a good education.
21. Bigotry is the disease of ignorance, morbid minds; enthusiasm of the free and buoyant. education & free discussion are the antidotes of both.
22. I cannot live without books: but fewer will suffice where amusement, and not use, is the only future object.
23. Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today.
24. I’m a greater believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it.
25. Nothing can stop a man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal.
These were some of the best Thomas Jefferson quotes on education. Which quotes are your favorite?