Even though the modern Olympic games are inspired by the ancient Olympics, they are different in many ways.
7 Major Difference Between Ancient and Modern Olympics
1. The ancient Olympics were held only at Olympia, while the venue of the modern Olympics keeps changing every four years.
2. Only Greeks could participate in the ancient Olympics, while the modern Olympics are open to all countries.
3. Women were forbidden to participate in the ancient Olympics. Today, women play a very important role in Olympic events.
4. There are many more events in the modern Olympics than there were in the ancient one. At the same time, some events have dropped.
5. The ancient Greeks gave honors for cultural events at the Olympics and were held as a religious event to honor the Greek God, Zeus.
6. During the ancient Olympics, all fighting between nations was stopped. Alas, that is no longer the case in the modern Olympics!
7. The ancient Olympics were initially a one-day event, later it extended to 3 days, then 5 days while modern Olympic games are held as 15-16 days events.
Recommended Watch: The Ancient Greek Olympics (Full Documentary) – Historical Adventure
Recommended Read: Who Invented the Modern Olympic Games? History & Facts