Looking for a healthy alternative to potato chips? Air-fried kale Chips are best suited for a keto diet. A healthy snack to munch on in just 10 minutes and made from 3 ingredients, isn’t that the best thing? This is a no-brainer recipe as easy as opening a bag of chips.
There can be no better way to serve green vegetables, kale chips only have a fraction of fats than that potato chips.
Kale is also known as Leaf cabbage, it belongs to the group of cabbage. They are closer to wild cabbage than domestic ones. The Kale plant not only has green leaves but also purple leaves.
Kale thrives in wintertime and can survive a temperature drop of up -15° celsius. After heavy frost kale will turn sweet in taste.
Seasoning for Kale Chips
Get creative and season the kale chips with your favorite seasoning. Season it just like any other chips of your choice or create a brand-new flavor by experimenting.
There are a few seasoning ideas:
- Red chili Flakes and Herbs: seasoning that goes well with chips, pizza, burgers, sandwiches, and many more.
- Garlic and Onion: garlic lover? then this seasoning will be your favorite to try.
- Peri Peri: a spicy seasoning.
- Ranch: use any dried ranch mixes for flavorful chips.
- Plain Vinegar: give a little tang to the chips.
- Salt: plain seasoning to keep the flavor of kale alive.
- Magic Masala: a seasoning with a mix of all spices and Asian touch
- Hot and Spicy: give your chips a spicy flavor than taste bland
- BBQ: a sweet, spicy sauce that will go best alongside a burger.
- Sour Cream and Onion: dried sour cream will add a unique taste to the chips.
- Honey Mustard: a perfect balance of sweet and salty flavor
Other Air Fryer Recipes
- Chicken Wings
- Potato Chips
- Brussel Sprouts
Ingredients for Kale Chips
These keto chips are quick and easy to prepare with a handful of ingredients available on the kitchen shelf.
- Kale is cholesterol-free, fat-free, a good source of fiber, sodium-free, perfect for diabetic management, effective in cleansing the body, promotes live detox, rich in the potent eye-protecting carotenoid antioxidants, ideal if you want to boost your immunity, enriched with skin health-boosting nutrients. vitamin k ensures adequate blood flow. low in calories, enriched with fat-burning nutrients, and provides deep nourishment to the hair and scalp.
- Olive Oil is sugar-free, gluten-free, cholesterol-free, sodium-free, and monounsaturated fats present in olive oil reduce bad cholesterol and increases good cholesterol. It is beneficial for gut and liver health, boosts heart health, prevents inflammation, and reduces oxidative stress. Olive Oil also relieves constipation, beneficial for long and strong hair, helps fight cancer, and prevents obesity.
- Salt is added to enhance the shelf life of kale chips, improve functionality, and control fermentation. Usually, table salt is used for seasoning food such as sandwiches, wraps, and hot chips. Always season salt after tossing in oil, oil helps the seasoning to adhere. Not cooking salt but table salt is used as seasoning because it is very fine and subtle in taste and cooking salt is added to water while cooking.
Air Fryer Kale Chips
- 1 Air Fryer
- 5 cups Kale
- 1/2 tablespoon Oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- Rinse the kale under cool water.
- Pat dry to remove excess water.
- Chop roughly into bite-sized pieces.
- Toss the kale in salt and oil.
- Place it in an air fryer basket and air fry for 4 at 372 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Toss the kale midway to avoid burning.
- Sprinkle with additional seasoning.
Directions for Kale Chips
Preparations before getting started with air frying the kale chips
Rinse Kale leaves under cool water under the tap with shots of cold water or in a colander. Before going further, dry the kale leaves. Take a stack of towels, place washed kale between them and pat dry removing excess water or dry it in a salad spinner.
Stalk the dried kale leaves together and chop them into bite-sized pieces. Transfer the chopped kale leaves to a bowl and toss in extra virgin olive oil. Season with table salt after tossing in oil so that the salt sticks to the kale leaves and gives a proportionate flavor to the kale chips.
Process of air-frying kale chips
Transfer the seasoned leaves to the basket of the air fryer. Ensure the leaves are placed at an even level to help them cook all kale leaves evenly.
Set the temperature to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and air fry the kale chips for 4 minutes. Kale leaves are delicate and can burn in the last few minutes of air frying, to avoid this after around 2 minutes toss kale chips midway through air frying.
Crisp Kale Chips are ready to eat immediately. Sprinkle with additional seasoning for taste and serve right away.
Kale chips, per serving
57 calories, 3g Fat, 4g Protein, 7g Carbohydrates, 323mg Sodium, 411mg Potassium,
Why Would You Love This Recipe
Kale retains value when made into chips. Kale is high in fiber, antioxidants, vitamin A, and calcium, as well as B vitamins, vitamin C, and potassium. Its fat- and sodium-free, minuscule amounts of olive oil and salt used in this recipe barely bump up those amounts.
How to store kale chips?
Cool the kale chips before storing them to keep them crispy, once cooled store them in an air-tight container or a zip-lock bag for 2-3 days. Prefer having them fresh from the air fryer.
Substitute for Kale
Kale can be substituted with spinach or any leafy vegetable of your choice. Potato chips can be made with the same seasoning.
Best Before date
It is best to eat them in two to three days but can be stored for up to a week in an air-tight container at room temperature.
Allergy and avoidance
Avoid kale if you have an allergy to cruciferous vegetables.
What goes well with kale chips?
Kale Chips go well with hummus, pimento cheese, or any dip to enhance the flavor.
If having kale chips as an evening snack pair it with hot coffee or tea, it can also be paired with fresh fruit juice.
Is this dish keto?
Yes, kale chips are best suited for a keto diet.
Can this be made in an oven?
Kale chips can be prepared in an oven with the proper setting or can even be deep fried.